Friday, February 9, 2007

Intro Message

I'm a recovering real estate broker and investor in the Puget Sound metro area (mostly Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.) Been in real estate about 20 years. I read a lot of real estate type information.......MLS data, landlord newspapers, various websites and blogs, but not enough new technology information, so if I screw up this blog, you'll know why.

I'm starting this blog because I like to step back occasionally and view issues from different perspectives. It seems like each of us (in the U.S. anyway) needs to spend so much time at our jobs, performing AND learning new stuff, that we only see the rest of the world through the one perspective. When I was younger, I remember people actually having the time to sit down together, to talk and think out loud, to have discussions about all kinds of issues, not just American Idol or Survivor episodes. These days, no one seems to have even the time for an extended telephone conversation. I think the lack of these conversations and discussions is a sad thing, and probably not good for society in general. Not that this blog will actually remedy that problem, but if discussions are generated, that's a good thing.

I like real estate and after 20 years in it, I'm all tanked up on bloviated opinions, facts, figures and trivia. But, we're all residents of our neighborhoods, cities, states, country and the planet. The world doesn't revolve around real estate, but I think it's important to look at the role real estate has in the world.........Hence the name "Bigger Picture Real Estate."

I'd like to look at current hot topics in real estate, news media screeds and the propaganda put out by the building industry and Realtor organization and EXAMINE the stories, not just expound on why you're in agreement or disagreement with the story. For instance, the "WHY did they say this," or "Is there any evidence behind these claims" and "There's the evidence IN FAVOR OF your point, but did you omit or forget contrary evidence JUST TO MAKE A POINT ?"

I'll do my best to be respectful to other opinions, if there ever ARE any, and please do the same. Many of these issues will be hot-button topics, so the opportunities for rudeness and insults will be there...........so please think of a respectful way to post your opinion.

HERB

No comments: